12 Easy Steps!
The following formula, or recipe, is for your standard YA paranormal romance.
1x Paranormal Boy (ex. vampire, faerie, zombie, angel, etc.) Must be breathtakingly gorgeous. Must have six pack abs.
1x Beautiful Girl. Must have some sort of tragic past (ex. dead parents, divorced parents, etc.)
1x Annoying Best Friend (of Beautiful Girl).
1x Small Town Setting.
1x Paranormal Villain.
Note I: Either Paranormal Boy or Beautiful Girl must be new to town, or school.
Note II: It is possible to have a Paranormal Girl and Beautiful Boy instead (although in such a case, the Boy need not be breathtakingly gorgeous).
- Beautiful Girl meets Paranormal Boy at school. Force them to sit next to one another in class.
- Beautiful Girl and Paranormal Boy do not get along initially. Paranormal Boy makes clear that he is a bad boy.
- Paranormal Boy does something paranormal-ish to tip off that he is paranormal.
- Beautiful Girl conducts research into the paranormal-ness of the situation.
- Beautiful Girl confronts Paranormal Boy with her research.
- Paranormal Boy admits to being a (insert paranormal creature here). Paranormal Boy warns Beautiful Girl that he is dangerous.
- Insta-Love™! Insert an assortment of cheesy scenes where one or both Beautiful Girl and Paranormal Boy act obsessively stalker-like. The more angsty, the better.
- Realization they cannot be together. Throw in a Paranormal Villain to make ‘more complicated’.
- Beautiful Girl and/or Paranormal Boy’s life is in danger, but find a way to stay alive, and together.
- Repeat with 2-3 more books to create a series!!
Now, you too, can write a YA paranormal romance!